At the end of last summer, I had finally started knitting a scarf for myself, a project that had been in my queue for a while. I was halfway done when I realized that I had made a mistake somewhere in the stockinette stitch (in addition to a mistake that I hadn’t corrected on literally the second row). So I decided to frog it and start over, but in the meantime, I had more knitting to do for babies!
First, for my friends D. and N., I made a cabled sweater called Get Ziggy. I didn’t know the sex of the baby and I didn’t have enough gender-neutral yarn in my stash, but that was a good thing because it allowed me to buy two skeins of the gorgeous Lorna’s Laces Shepherd Worsted Yarn in Ysolda Red, which I’d been eying for a long time. It’s red with variegations of pink and orange, and while I’ll admit that a solid color would have shown off the cables more, I loved the effect nonetheless. It turns out that the baby was a girl, named Ezri Leora (there are so many cool names in English that just wouldn’t work in French, right?). I had enough yarn left at the end to make a hat, though I suspect it’ll be too big for the baby this winter. I’m throwing in a picture of the Fox modeling it (and trying to understand what a sleeve is), because I had done the same with the Little Prince’s Christmas sweater a few years ago!
Then, for another little girl due after the holidays (name still to be announced), I made the Clara dress that I had first seen here. I used Madelinetosh Tosh Merino Light Yarn in Posy from my stash, which worked out just fine. The dress came out a bit bigger than expected (I made the bigger size to use up more yarn), so it’ll be for when she’s older… I now have about a third of a skein in each of Posy and Vermillion left in this yarn. And the button is from my stash.
Finally, when I realized that the Little Prince did not own a scarf (which he’ll need to go to Montreal over the holidays), I decided to make him this fox scarf. (For some reason, the pattern has disappeared from the page in the past few weeks, but it’s pretty basic and appears to be the same as this one.) The pattern called for a fingering weight yarn, so I was eying this one, but then I decided against it. A fingering yarn would make a small, thin scarf, and I wanted something cozier. So I went with worsted weight and bought a skein of Malabrigo Rios Yarn in Glazed Carrot (because I couldn’t resist that delicious color!). I paired it with leftover Madelinetosh Tosh Merino DK Yarn in Antler from my stash and used black embroidery floss for the eyes. I recommend worsted weight, I love the finished product!